The Smithsonian American Art Museum's collection, which includes artworks in all media—from painting and sculpture to film and media art, photographs, folk art, and contemporary craft—reveals key aspects of America's rich artistic and cultural history from the colonial period to today. In recent years, the museum's acquisition efforts have focused on strengthening its modern and contemporary collections, as well as acquiring major works by Latino artists featured in the exhibition Our America: The Latino Presence in American Art.
Below are links to selected recent acquisitions.
- Corey Arcangel, Photoshop CS: 50 by 50 inches, 300 DPI, RGB, square pixels, default gradient “Blue, Yellow, Blue”, mousedown y=2000 x=1500, mouseup y=9350 x=1650; tool “Wand”, select y=5000, x=2000, tolerance=32, contiguous= off; default gradient “Spectrum”, mousedown y=8050 x=8700, mouseup y=3600 x=5050 (2013)
- Karin Davie, Drag-on (1999)
- Caio Fonseca, Pietrasanta Painting (COI.33) (about 2002)
- Donald Judd, Untitled (1981, fabricated 1982)
- Byron Kim and Glenn Ligon, Black & White (1993)
- Ken Price, Inez (2010)
- John Singer Sargent, Stable at Cuenca (1903)
- Judith Schaechter, The Birth of Eve (2013)
- Julian Schnabel, Adieu (1996)
- Buky Schwartz, Painted Projection (1977)
- Taryn Simon, Chapter X, A Living Man Declared Dead and Other Chapters I-XVIII (2011)
- Eve Sussman and Rufus Corporation, whiteonwhite:algorithmicnoir (2009–2011)
- Domingo Ulloa, Braceros (1960)
- Jamie Wyeth, Study for Ice Storm, Maine (1998)
- Purvis Young, The Struggle (1973–1974)
Click here for a full list of 2014 acquisitions.
Inquiries about Donating Artworks
If you are an artist, collector, or dealer with an artwork you wish to be considered by the museum for acquisition, please follow the guidelines below. Do not ship, send, or bring original artworks to the museum; the museum cannot return artworks to senders. Inquiries in person or by telephone will not be considered.
Please send all unsolicited submissions to:
Smithsonian American Art Museum
MRC 970 PO Box 37012
Washington, DC 20013-7012