Evening on the Hudson
Born: Paris, France 1865
Died: New York, New York 1960
oil on canvas 27 1/8 x 36 1/8 in. (68.9 x 91.7 cm) Smithsonian American Art Museum Gift of William T. Evans
Smithsonian American Art Museum
Luce Foundation Center, 3rd Floor, 14A
Luce Center Label
In 1908, Leon Dabo's Evening on the Hudson won a prize from the National Arts Club. (Pancza, "Leon Scott Dabo," in Artists of Michigan from the Nineteenth Century, 1987). He used little detail, preferring instead to paint with subtle washes of color. In this piece the soft tones of green, purple, and gray evoke the fading light just after sunset, and lights across the water glimmer from a distant town.
Landscape - New York
Landscape - river - Hudson River
Landscape - time - evening
paint - oil
fabric - canvas
About Leon Dabo
Born: Paris, France 1865 Died: New York, New York 1960
Blogs, Podcasts, and More
- Eye Level: The Moon is a Television: On Nam June Paik's ...
- Eye Level: George Inness and I
- Eye Level: Annie Leibovitz's State of the Union
- Eye Level: The Halff Collection
- Eye Level: New Acquisitions: Bret Price's Hublot
- Eye Level: Westward Spiral
- Eye Level: Q and Art: Stanton Macdonald-Wright and his ...
- Eye Level: Stumbled Upon Treasures
- Eye Level: Light
- Eye Level: 5 Questions: Curator Joanna Marsh on Alexis ...